Adding a new account on the Account Summary page
Your transactional accounts in PocketSmith can be connected to a bank feed, use bank files to import transactions, or not be attached to bank feeds or bank files. Learn about the different types of transactional accounts you can add to PocketSmith.
In this user guide
Create a transaction account that uses a bank feed
Accounts are automatically created in PocketSmith when you add your bank feed and then connect your bank accounts to PocketSmith. To learn how to add a bank feed and establish your accounts please see: Adding a bank feed and establishing your accounts
Create a transaction account that uses bank files
Accounts are automatically created in PocketSmith when you import your transactions with a bank file. To learn more about setting up an account with a bank file, head over to our Bank Files topic.
If you're moving to PocketSmith from another personal finance application you might have an exported file you wish to import to PocketSmith to add to one your existing accounts or to create a new account with. Have a look at Moving to PocketSmith to see if we have a custom import tool available to use.
If your application isn't on the list fire us a message, with your help we can create one for you!
Create a cash account
If you frequently use cash to pay for things you may wish to create a cash account. To learn how to add a cash account from the Account Summary page check out: Steps to create a cash account
Create a transaction account that does not use bank feeds or bank files
Some users like to operate PocketSmith without importing any personal data from bank feeds and bank files and add their data manually.
If you are new to PocketSmith and still working through your checklist, learn how to create an offline account here: Starting PocketSmith without bank feeds or bank files
If you already have a PocketSmith account set up and you've completed your checklist, just use the steps below to open a new offline account:
- Head to the Account Summary page
- All of your existing banks are displayed on the left side panel. You can choose to add your new offline account to an existing bank, or you can create a new bank.
All of your accounts in PocketSmith must be attached to a bank. If you are creating an account that doesn't belong to an actual bank institution, you'll need to create a bank with a "fake" name or add it to a bank you already have set up.
Adding a new offline transaction account to an existing bank
- If you want to add your new account to an existing bank in your PocketSmith, select the bank from the left panel. Then click + New offline account in the toolbar and select From a file import. Skip 3b and Continue at step 4.
Creating a new bank for a new offline transaction account
- Select + New Bank from the left side panel. In the form, type in the name of your new bank, choose the currency for your new account. Select Accounts from a file import and click Save
- The next form will ask for the name and balance for the account, along with the account type (bank, loan, credit card, mortgage etc). Add the details and click Save.
Create a scenario-only account
If you don't want to bring any transactions into PocketSmith, you are still able to manage your finances by setting up manual balances and using the budget and forecast features. To learn how to add a scenario-only account from the Account Summary page check out: Steps to create a scenario-only account