Using the Categorize Items page
The Categorize Items page allows you to quickly categorize transactions, add details to your transactions in a simple format, and create category rules all in the one place!
In this user guide
Categorizing your transactions
- To use the Categorize items page, head to Accounts > Categorize Items
- The number of transactions that need to be categorized will be displayed in the top left corner of the page.
- As soon as you land on the page, a transaction card will be displayed, ready for you to categorize! You'll see the account the transaction is within, the merchant, date and amount:
- If you're not ready to categorize this transaction, just click SKIP
Assigning a category to the transaction
Choose the category from the drop-down menu, or type in the category name and press enter
- Under Category click the down-arrow and search for the category you'd like to apply
You can type in the category to find it quickly or if you'd like to create new category - type it in and select
Edit settings for newly created categories
If you've created a new category, you can edit the settings for your newly created category by clicking on the 'New category' pop-up that shows in the bottom left corner.
Just click on Edit category settings to set the category type, or set the category to be a transfer category or a bill/scheduled income category.
If you'd prefer to do this later, just click Not now. You can always edit your categories from the Categories page (Settings > Categories) instead.
For more detail on editing category settings please see: Editing & deleting categories
Adding notes, labels or transfer marking
Add a note to your transaction as a helpful reminder or to create a memory for your Timeline!
- 🚗 🔧 💵 Make a note of the work that was done on your car when it last had a service at the garage
- 🍔 🌮 🍕 Add a note about that amazing meal you had at a new restaurant
- 🎁 🎄 🎉 Keep track of gifts you bought for different family members but you made one bulk purchase
Add labels to your transactions! Labels allow you to tag transactions independently from categories. You can have multiple labels on each transaction.
If you want to have this transaction marked with the Transfer icon just check the tickbox This is a transfer before clicking Save & Continue.
Applying a category rule
You can create category rules to automatically categorize future transactions by ticking Make this a Category Rule, you can also edit the merchant name that will be matched for the rule to improve how well this category is applied in the future.
We have all the details here: Creating a Category Rule and adding merchant keywords from the Categorize Items page
Splitting a transaction
To split the transaction, click the three-dot menu > Split.
The transaction will then show on two cards so that you can change the details on each of the transactions. Changing the amount on one card will adjust the amount on the other card so that they match the original amount.