PocketSmith Android app
Our Android app is designed as a companion app providing users with some of the key elements of PocketSmith - right there in your pocket!
Because our mobile apps are not designed as a standalone interface, they won't include all the features found on our web and desktop applications. We are regularly releasing updates to the PocketSmith Android app with improvements and new features. The Android app can be downloaded from the Google Play Store📱
In this user guide
The Dashboard gives you an overview of your finances on the move. From your Dashboard, you can get information on your net worth, top accounts, categorization progress and a summary of your budget tracking at a glance!
Click on the different widgets to access more information about your finances
Tap Edit from the Dashboard (scroll to the bottom of your Dashboard) if you want to change or rearrange your widgets, then tap SAVE in the top right:
Tap the Transactions tab to view your transactions. From here you can search transactions from the search bar or choose to view all transactions, uncategorized transactions, or only your income transactions, by selecting these options from the menu at the top of the screen.
Tap Calendar to view your budget events, edit existing budgets, or create new budgets.
Viewing the calendar
The Calendar shows you, at a glance, when you have budget events scheduled. A green flag indicates an income budget, whereas a red flag indicates an expense budget. Grey flags indicate transfer budgets.
Tap on a date to view the budgets scheduled for that day.
Creating, editing, and deleting budgets
Tap the + icon in the bottom right to create a new budget, or, tap on an existing budget to edit or delete the budget.
For more detail on creating, editing, and deleting budgets, please see: Creating, editing, or deleting budgets
Viewing balances on the Calendar
View balances on the Calendar by selecting the Balances checkbox below the calendar.
Scroll down to see a breakdown and total of the contributing account balances for the selected date:
- For the current date and any past dates, you'll be able to see the forecast balances compared to your actuals.
- For any future dates, only the forecast balances will be displayed.
Tap the Budget widget from the Dashboard or head straight to the Budget tab, to quickly see an overview of both your budget summary and your individual budgets.
The top of the Budget tab screen shows a summary of your overall budget for the current calendar month. Scroll down to see how your individual budget categories are tracking for their respective current budget periods. If you use nested categories, you'll see the parent category in front of each of the subcategories.
Select any of your individual budget categories to see all assigned transactions for that period:
To see trends for a budget category, tap View trends when viewing the budget.
A trends graph will show, with a summary below for the selected budget period. To view the summary for a previous or future period, tap the corresponding column.
Tap Transactions to view the transactions that have contributed to the budget for the selected period.
To adjust the period reflected by the bar graph, or, the number of budget events/periods viewed overall, tap the menu icon in the top right, and edit to suit.
Your favorite budgets
Your favorite budgets widget lets you view your favorite budgets at a glance.
Tapping the top of the widget will take you to the overall Budget screen, while tapping a category row will take you to that category's budget.
Selecting your favorite budgets
To select the budgets that you'd like to display here, tap Edit from the Dashboard (scroll to the bottom of your Dashboard), then tap on the cog beside 'Favorite Budgets' in the widgets list.
Use the toggle beside a category to select it as a favorite budget.
Creating, editing, or deleting budgets
You're able to create new budgets, edit existing budgets, or delete budgets from the Calendar tab. Tap Calendar at the bottom of the screen to access the Calendar tab.
Creating a new budget
- Tap the + icon in the bottom right of the Calendar tab to create a new budget.
Fill in the budget details, including category, date, budget type, amount and frequency.
The start date will default to the date you are currently viewing in the calendar. To select a different date, tap the date field and use the date selector.
Please note that it is not yet possible to create a transfer budget via the mobile app, and you'll need to do this via the web app. For detail on how to do this see: Creating a transfer budget
- Tap Save to save your new budget
Within the mobile app, you are able to edit the following details for a budget:
- the amount
- add a note
- the repeat period
To edit a budget, locate the budget or the specific budget event on the calendar, then:
- Tap on the budget to view the budget details
Edit the details as required, then tap
Choose how you'd like the budget changes to be applied:
This occurrence only:
Use this option if you want to edit just this one specific budget event within the repeating budget series, leaving others unchanged.
This and future occurrences:
Updates the selected budget event and all future events in the series. All budget events before the selected date remain unchanged.
All occurrences in this series
This will edit all budget events within the budget series from the start date onwards, apart from existing one-off exclusions from previous "this occurrence only" edits.
Editing other budget details
Please note, that it is not possible to edit the following budget details via the mobile app:
- the budget date
- the account a budget is assigned to
- the budget type (ie. income or expense)
To make these changes, you would need to use the web app, following the steps outlined here: Editing, moving or deleting a budget
You're able to delete a single budget event, or an entire budget series, as shown below.
This occurrence only:
Use this option if you want to delete just this one specific budget event within the repeating budget series, leaving others intact.
This and future occurrences:
Deletes the selected budget event and all future events in the series. All budget events before the selected date remain intact.
All occurrences in this series
This will delete all budget events within the budget series.
Your top accounts widget on the dashboard shows the current balances for your first five accounts.
Tap on an account name to see the transactions within Tap to see more to view all of your accounts, edit account details, or change the order of your accounts.
Change the order of your accounts
To change the order of your accounts, tap Edit. You'll then be able to drag and drop accounts into your preferred order. Tap Done to save.
Edit the details of your accounts
You're able to edit the account name, currency, or account type via the mobile app.
To get started, tap Edit. Then, beside the account you would like to edit, tap 'Tap to edit'.
Edit the account details as desired and tap Save once you're happy with your changes.
Your bank feeds
Opening the mobile app will trigger a sync of any non-MFA bank feeds.
The bank feeds widget on the dashboard shows an overview of your current bank feed sync status
Tap the bank feeds widget to provide more details about the individual bank feed connections
MFA feeds and syncing
Currently, it's not possible to sync bank feeds that are listed as using MFA via the mobile app.
If you encounter a message that a bank feed can't sync on mobile, then this means that particular bank feed is listed as using MFA and can only be synced via the web app.
However, if you know you're not asked for additional security information for this bank feed you can learn how to fix this here: Force bank feeds with Multi-factor authentication (MFA) to automatically sync
For more information on MFA and bank feed syncing in mobile please see: Bank feed syncing in mobile
Tap the Net Worth widget from the Dashboard to see a break down of what you own and what you owe:
The Your balances widget displays the combined balance of all, or a selection, of your accounts. You'll be able to see both your actual and forecast balances.
Select 'Tap to see more' for more detail on this graph. From here, you can drag the slider (dotted line) forward or back to display different dates.
Below the graph, you'll see a list of all the included accounts, with the combined total at the bottom.
If you'd like to display only a selection of accounts here, you can do this by tapping the menu button in the top right corner.
From here, you can toggle any accounts that you don't want to see here to off. You are also able to adjust the date range of the forecast by changing the number of months showing.
Categorize and edit your transactions
Categorize or edit your transactions straight from the mobile app!
From the transactions tab, select any transaction to make changes, add notes and labels, categorize, create a category rule, and mark as a transfer.
Or, tap the categorization widget from the Dashboard to see your uncategorized transactions.
Tap on a transaction, then tap Uncategorized to choose or create a category to be applied to it:
Create category rules:
If you'd like to, you can create a category rule by tapping ADD RULE.
If the merchant description includes extraneous information, such as time stamps or transaction numbers, then it's best to edit the merchant keywords to exclude this information.
Add notes or labels:
Tap Add Labels to choose or create a label, or Write a note... to add a note:
Add an attachment:
Tap the attachments field to add an attachment.
For more detail on adding files and photos to transactions please see: Adding attachments to transactions
To mark a transaction as a transfer, simply select the checkbox to ' Mark as transfer' on the transaction edit form.
Attachment Inbox and adding attachments to transactions
You can now add attachments via the Android app. Add attachments directly to existing transactions, or, if you've just made a purchase on the fly, you can store a photo of the receipt in your Attachment Inbox for attaching once the transaction has been imported into PocketSmith.
View your Attachment Inbox
Tap on the Attachment Inbox to view any unassigned attachments.
Add files or photos to your Attachment Inbox
Use the Attachment inbox widget to add and store a photo or a file until your transaction is imported into PocketSmith. The Attachment Inbox widget has two options for uploading attachments:
- take a picture and upload, or
- upload from the files on your phone
Once you have taken a picture or chosen a file, you'll see your selected photo appear in the attachment inbox
Adding attachments to transactions
To upload an attachment to a transaction, tap the transaction in the Transactions tab and tap the attachment inbox field.
Tap the ' +' icon and choose how you'd like to upload your attachment. You can choose to take a photo, upload from the files on your phone, or choose from the files stored in your Attachment Inbox.
Once you've taken your photo or made your selection, a preview will show. Tap ' +' to add additional transactions, or tap '<' to return to the transaction edit form. Tap Save to save your transaction.
Tap the Transactions widget from the Dashboard to search your transactions! You can also access the search bar from the Transactions tab.
Transaction confirming is an optional feature in PocketSmith, but if you like to confirm your transactions, you can quickly do this from the mobile app too!
Tap the Transaction confirming widget from the Dashboard to see a list of your unconfirmed transactions. Tap OK to confirm each transaction, or tap on a specific transaction if you want to make changes to it before confirming.
Settings and security
You can add additional security to PocketSmith on mobile by adding a privacy pin from the settings tab. If this is turned on, you'll need to enter your 4-digit pin in order to open the app.
By default, screenshots are not enabled within the Android app. However, you can enable screenshots from the settings tab by toggling 'Allow screenshots' to on.
Please be aware that with enable screenshots turned on, the last page viewed in PocketSmith may be visible when switching between recent apps.
If you'd like to, you can enable Dark mode within PocketSmith.
To access Dark mode, head to the Settings menu, then tap Select theme and choose Dark.
Cash transactions & cash accounts
If you frequently use cash to pay for things, you may have created a cash account on the PocketSmith web app to track these transactions (learn more here: Dealing with cash transactions). You can also easily add cash transactions and set up new cash accounts straight from your mobile device!
Adding new cash transactions and creating cash accounts
- In the Android app, open the Transactions tab
Add cash transaction button in the bottom right corner
If you don't already have a cash account, tap Add a cash account. From here you can give the new cash account a name and starting balance, then tap Create new account to save.
Add the details of your cash transaction in the fields provided
- Merchant Name
- Account (you can create a new cash account, by selecting the Account field and choosing + New Cash Account)
- Income or Expense & Amount
- Add Category rule
- Mark as transfer
- Tap Save (or Save + Another if you'd like to add more)
If you created a manual cash account on our web app before January 28, 2018, this will not be available from the Account options on the mobile app. You'll just need to change the account type (on the web app) so it is an official Cash account as outlined here: Edit the details of your account
Deleting cash transactions
Changing the balance of a cash account
If the balance for the cash account is incorrect, it isn't possible to change this within the mobile app. However, you can do this on the web app by updating the Calculated closing balance option. Learn more about changing this here: Balance options for an account
PocketSmith's mobile apps are cloud-based and, as such, require internet access to operate.
If your mobile device is offline, you'll see the following message:
Once you have internet access again, the app will function as normal ⚡️
- Minor bugfixes
- You can now share your Tell-a-Friend link within the app
- Minor bugfixes
- Added balances data to the calendar
- Made some minor UI tweaks
- Added new trends chart for viewing your historical and future budgets
- Added PDF uploading for attachments
- Removed income categories from showing up on the spending widget
- Added a new balance graph widget
- Minor bugfixes
- New budget events can now be created within the app
- Existing budget events can also be edited and deleted from the calendar
- Calendar now respects starting day based on settings on the web
- Multiple other bugfixes
- Fixed a crash on the calendar screen
- Added safeguards for a very small subset of devices where the fingerprint can't be read if PIN authentication is turned on. If you have one of these devices, the app will turn off the PIN code, and sign you out instead of crashing.
- Added a new read-only calendar for you to view your events on! (Editing and adding events will be coming in a future update)
- Added status icons to transactions
- New dark mode theme added that can be changed via the app settings menu
- Added new favorite budget widget so you can choose which ones you want to track directly on your dashboard
- Fixed a bug where some users were unable to reorder their accounts
- Multiple bug fixes
- Lots of minor under the hood changes
- Minor bugfixes
- Attachment inbox feature - allows users to add attachments to transactions via the Android app
- Accounts can now be edited and reordered
- Minor bugfixes
- Added currency selectors when creating new cash accounts
- Fixed incorrect logic in the spending breakdown charts that were incorrectly including transferred transactions
- Fixed a minor bug where sliding the sliders in the dashboard edit screen wouldn't work
- Included multi-currency support for budgets
- Category rules - You can now create category rules from inside a transaction
- Quick add transaction widget - this widget allows you to quickly add cash transactions (widget is hidden by default)
- New recent transactions widget - this will display your last 5 transactions
- Transaction marking - you can now mark transactions as transfers from the transaction edit form
- Allow screenshots to be toggled on/off via the settings
- Fixed - confirm screen missing transactions
- Fixed - account names not showing for some transactions
- Bank feed information - you can now see all your feed statuses in the app, and bank feed syncs can be triggered in most cases after a period of inactivity (learn more here: Bank feed syncing in mobile)
- Improved transaction confirming - when a transaction is saved, you can now toggle whether you want the transaction to be confirmed too
- Date formats have been cleaned up and are now more consistent
- Bug fixes
- Introducing search! - You can now search for keywords in your transactions just like on the web. We've added a widget so you have quick access, or you can search directly when you view your transactions list
- Text entry fields are now capitalized by default
- Spending chart widget minor change - Last 7 and last 30 days filters have been updated to match the web
- A few minor bugfixes
- View transactions in a budget - tap on a budget to view more details about it + all the transactions within
- Confirm transactions - added new unconfirmed transactions widget to confirm transactions on the go
- Category creation - create a new category if you search for one and it’s not there
- Frequent categories - these appear at the top of your list when selecting a category
- Account name display - transactions will now also display the account
- Fixed - viewing the spending breakdown detail should be more stable
- Fixing a crash on startup for some users
- New date ranges for the spending breakdown widget
- When entering the category selection screen, you can immediately start searching for a category
- Fixed an issue where the app would ask to create a new cash account even though one already exists
- Fixed an issue on Android 6 where PIN UI didn't update
- Long loading budgets should correctly display
Introducing a new spending breakdown widget to help you visualize where your money is going
- Fixed authentication issues when reopening the app after a period of time.
We've reverted the changes we made in our latest 2.0.2 release which was causing authentication issues to some users. We apologize for the inconvenience and are working hard to fix any crashes which you may have experienced over the past few days.
- Fixed a crash some users were experiencing when entering the app from the foreground
- Fixes a crash when entering the app from the foreground on some occasions
- Additional stability and performance improvements around displaying large image files
Introducing the PocketSmith mobile app 2.0 with a new customizable dashboard!
- See your net worth breakdown
- View your current budget status
- Check out your top 5 accounts
- See your outstanding transactions to categorize
All of these widgets can be hidden or rearranged to your liking, so you have full control over what you see.
Alongside all these new dashboard features, we've fixed some bugs and made some other minor changes to the UI.
- Fixed issues around multi-language support and number entries
- Fixed an issue where account limit message was incorrectly showing
- Fixed an issue where sometimes the uncategorised banner wasn’t appearing
- Fixed a minor bug where cash accounts set up on the web wouldn’t correctly be recognised as a cash account in the app
- Improved stability
- You can now create a cash account on your device and add cash transactions!
- Accounts are now displayed in the same order as the web for better consistency
- Fixed a bug on the Budget Summary where incorrect text sometimes appeared
- Updated the "Learn about the app" page to help you get the most out of PocketSmith mobile
- No release notes
- Fixes a crash some users were experiencing with MFA
- Fixes a crash some users were getting
- Added a new screen to view all transactions in one place
- General stability and bug fixes
- First release of the Android app