PocketSmith Android app
Our Android app is designed as a companion app providing users with some of the key elements of PocketSmith - right there in your pocket!
Because our mobile apps are not designed as a standalone interface, they won't include all the features found on our web and desktop applications. We are regularly releasing updates to the PocketSmith Android app with improvements and new features. The Android app can be download from the Google Play Store 📱
In this user guide
The Dashboard gives you an overview of your finances on the move. From your Dashboard, you can get information on your net worth, top accounts, categorization progress and a summary of your budget tracking at a glance!
Click on the different widgets to access more information about your finances
Tap Edit from the Dashboard (scroll to the bottom of your Dashboard) if you want to change or rearrange your widgets:
Tap the Net Worth widget from the Dashboard to see a break down of what you own and what you owe:
Head to the transactions tab to view your transactions.
You can choose to view all transactions, uncategorized transactions, or only your income transactions by selecting these options from the menu at the top of the screen.
Categorize and edit your transactions
Categorize or edit your transactions straight from the mobile app!
From the transactions tab, select any transaction to make changes, add notes and labels, or categorize.
Or, tap the categorization widget from the Dashboard to see your uncategorized transactions.
Tap on a transaction, then tap Uncategorized to choose or create a category to be applied to it:
Tap Add Labels to choose or create a label, or Write a note... to add a note:
Tap the Budget widget from the Dashboard or head straight to the Budget tab, to quickly see an overview of both your budget summary and your individual budgets.
The top of the Budget tab shows a summary of your overall budget for the current calendar month.
Scroll down to view how your individual budget categories are tracking for their current budget period.
Settings and security
You can add additional security to PocketSmith on mobile by adding a privacy pin from the settings tab. If this is turned on, you'll need to enter your 4-digit pin in order to open the app.
Cash transactions & cash accounts
If you frequently use cash to pay for things, you may have created a cash account on the PocketSmith web app to track these transactions (learn more here: Dealing with cash transactions). You can also easily add cash transactions and set up new cash accounts straight from your mobile device!
Adding new cash transactions and creating cash accounts
- In the Android app, open the Transactions page
Add cash transaction button in the top right corner
If you don't already have a cash account, tap Add a cash account. From here you can give the new cash account a name and starting balance, then tap Create new account to save.
Add the details of your cash transaction in the fields provided:
- Merchant Name
- Account (you can create a new cash account, by selecting the Account field and choosing + New Cash Account)
- Income or Expense & Amount
- Tap Save (or Save + Another if you'd like to add more)
If you created a manual cash account on our web app before January 28, 2018, this will not be available from the Account options on the mobile app. You'll just need to change the account type (on the web app) so it is an official Cash account as outlined here: Edit the details of your account
Deleting cash transactions
Changing the balance of a cash account
If the balance for the cash account is incorrect, it isn't possible to change this within the mobile app. However, you can do this on the web app by updating the Calculated closing balance option. Learn more about changing this here: Balance options for an account
Introducing the PocketSmith mobile app 2.0 with a new customizable dashboard!
- See your net worth breakdown
- View your current budget status
- Check out your top 5 accounts
- See your outstanding transactions to categorize
All of these widgets can be hidden or rearranged to your liking, so you have full control over what you see.
Alongside all these new dashboard features, we've fixed some bugs and made some other minor changes to the UI.
- Fixed issues around multi-language support and number entries
- Fixed an issue where account limit message was incorrectly showing
- Fixed an issue where sometimes the uncategorised banner wasn’t appearing
- Fixed a minor bug where cash accounts set up on the web wouldn’t correctly be recognised as a cash account in the app
- Improved stability
- You can now create a cash account on your device and add cash transactions!
- Accounts are now displayed in the same order as the web for better consistency
- Fixed a bug on the Budget Summary where incorrect text sometimes appeared
- Updated the "Learn about the app" page to help you get the most out of PocketSmith mobile
- No release notes
- Fixes a crash some users were experiencing with MFA
- Fixes a crash some users were getting
- Added a new screen to view all transactions in one place
- General stability and bug fixes
- First release of the Android app