PocketSmith iOS App
Our iOS app is designed as a companion app providing users with some of the key elements of PocketSmith - right there in your pocket!
Because our mobile apps are not designed as a standalone interface, they won't include all the features found on our web and desktop applications. We are regularly releasing updates to the PocketSmith iOS app with improvements and new features. The iOS app can be download from the App Store 📱
In this user guide
The Dashboard gives you an overview of your finances on the move. From your Dashboard, you can get information on your net worth, top accounts, categorization progress and a summary of your budget tracking at a glance! You can click on the different widgets to access more information about your finances.
- Current date
- Net Worth
- Your bank feeds
- Spending breakdown
- Uncategorized transactions
- Top Accounts
- Budget Summary
- Transactions confirming
- Attachment Inbox
Turning widgets on or off
Tap Edit from the Dashboard if you want to change or rearrange your widgets:
Tap the Transactions tab to view your transactions. From here you can search transactions from the search bar or choose to view all transactions, uncategorized transactions, or only your income transactions, by selecting these options from the menu at the top of the screen.
Tap the Budget widget from the Dashboard or head straight to the Budget tab, to quickly see an overview of both your budget summary and your individual budgets.
The top of the Budget tab screen shows a summary of your overall budget for the current calendar month. Scroll down to see how your individual budget categories are tracking for their respective current budget periods. If you use nested categories, you'll see the parent category in front of each of the sub-categories.
Select any of your individual budget categories to see all assigned transactions for that period. If you're viewing a subcategory, you'll see the parent category greyed out above the category name:
Your top accounts widget on the dashboard shows the current balances of your most-used accounts.
Tap on an account name to see the transactions within, or tap Tap to see more to view all of your accounts, edit account details, or change the order of your accounts.
Change the order of your accounts
To change the order of your accounts, tap Edit. You'll then be able to drag and drop accounts into your preferred order. Tap Done to save.
Edit the details of your accounts
You're able to edit the account name, currency, or account type via the mobile app.
To get started, tap Edit. Then, beside the account you would like to edit, tap 'Tap to edit'.
Edit the account details as desired and tap Save once you're happy with your changes.
Your bank feeds
Opening the mobile app will trigger a sync of any non-MFA bank feeds.
The bank feeds widget on the dashboard shows an overview of your current bank feed sync status
Tap the bank feeds widget to provide more details about the individual bank feed connections
MFA feeds and syncing
Currently, it's not possible to sync bank feeds that are listed as using MFA via the mobile app. If you encounter a message that a bank feed can't sync on mobile, then this means that particular bank feed is listed as using MFA and can only be synced via the web app.
However, if you know you're not asked for additional security information for this bank feed you can learn how to fix this here: Force bank feeds with Multi-factor authentication (MFA) to automatically sync
For more information on MFA and bank feed syncing in mobile please see: Bank feed syncing in mobile
Tap the Net Worth widget from the Dashboard to see a break down of what you own and what you owe:
Categorize and edit your transactions
Categorize or edit your transactions straight from the mobile app!
From the transactions tab, select any transaction to make changes, add notes, labels and attachments, categorize, create a category rule, and mark as a transfer.
Or, tap the categorization widget from the Dashboard to see your uncategorized transactions.
Tap on a transaction, then tap Select a category to choose or create a category to be applied to it:
Create category rules:
If you'd like to, you can create a category rule by tapping ADD RULE.
If the merchant description includes extraneous information, such as time stamps or transaction numbers, then it's best to edit the merchant keywords to exclude this information.
Add notes or labels:
Tap Add Labels to choose or create a label, or Write a note... to add a note:
Add an attachment:
Tap the attachments field to add an attachment.
For more detail on adding files and photos to transactions please see: Adding attachments to transactions
To mark a transaction as a transfer, simply select the checkbox to ' Mark as transfer' on the transaction edit form.
Tap the Transactions widget from the Dashboard to search your transactions! You can also access the search bar from the Transactions tab.
Attachment Inbox and adding attachments to transactions
You can now add attachments via the iOS app. Add attachments directly to existing transactions, or, if you've just made a purchase on the fly, you can store a photo of the receipt in your Attachment Inbox for attaching once the transaction has been imported into PocketSmith.
View your Attachment inbox
Tap on the Attachment Inbox to view any unassigned attachments.
Add files or photos to your Attachment Inbox
Use the Attachment inbox widget to add and store a photo or a file until your transaction is imported into PocketSmith. The Attachment Inbox widget has two options for uploading attachments:
- take a picture and upload, or
- upload from the files on your phone
Once you have taken a picture or chosen a file, a preview will be generated. Click Upload to confirm your selection.
Adding attachments to transactions
To upload an attachment to a transaction, tap the transaction in the Transactions tab and tap the attachment inbox field.
Tap the ' +' icon and choose how you'd like to upload your attachment. You can choose to take a photo, upload from the files on your phone, or choose from the files stored in your Attachment Inbox.
Once you've taken your photo or made your selection, a preview will show. Tap ' +' to add additional transactions, or tap '<' to return to the transaction edit form. Tap Save to save your transaction.
Transaction confirming is an optional feature in PocketSmith, but if you like to confirm your transactions, you can quickly do this from the mobile app too!
Tap the Transaction confirming widget from the Dashboard to see a list of your unconfirmed transactions. Tap OK to confirm each transaction, or tap on a specific transaction if you want to make changes to it before confirming.
Settings and security
You can add additional security to PocketSmith on mobile by adding a privacy pin from the settings tab. If this is turned on, you'll need to enter your 4-digit pin in order to open the app.
Once you've set up a pin this will also enable Touch ID to access the iOS app!
Cash transactions & cash accounts
If you frequently use cash to pay for things, you may have created a cash account on the PocketSmith web app to track these transactions (learn more here: Dealing with cash transactions). You can also easily add cash transactions and set up new cash accounts straight from your mobile device!
Adding new cash transactions and creating cash accounts
In the iOS app, open the Transactions page
Add cash transaction button in the top right corner
If you don't already have a cash account, tap Add a cash account. From here you can give the new cash account a name and starting balance, then tap Create new account to save.
Add the details of your cash transaction in the fields provided:
- Merchant Name
- Account (you can create a new cash account, by selecting the Account field and choosing + New Cash Account)
- Income or Expense & Amount
Save + Another if you'd like to add more)
If you created a manual cash account on our web app before January 28, 2018, this will not be available from the Account options on the mobile app. You'll just need to change the account type (on the web app) so it is an official Cash account as outlined here: Edit the details of your account
Deleting cash transactions
Changing the balance of a cash account
If the balance for the cash account is incorrect, it isn't possible to change this within the mobile app. However, you can do this on the web app by updating the Calculated closing balance option. Learn more about changing this here: Balance options for an account
PocketSmith's mobile apps are cloud-based and, as such, require internet access to operate.
If your mobile device is offline, you'll see the following message:
Once you have internet access again, the app will function as normal ⚡️
- Attachment inbox feature - allows users to add attachments to transactions via the iOS app
- Accounts can now be edited and reordered
- Minor bugfixes
- Added currency selectors when creating new cash accounts
- Fixed incorrect logic in the spending breakdown charts that were including transferred transactions incorrectly
- Fixed a rare bug where if the device's region is different to your keyboard (therefore inverting the commas and periods), you couldn't enter the cents in a transaction
- Multi-currency support for budgets
- Category rules - You can now create category rules from inside a transaction
- Quick add transaction widget - This new widget allows you to quickly add cash transactions from the dashboard (widget is hidden by default)
- New recent transactions widget - This new widget that will display your last 5 transactions
- Mark individual transactions as transfer - New checkbox section when viewing transaction details page for toggling this on/off
- Fixed confirm screen - Fixed some transactions that were missing inside the confirming screen
- Fixed - account names not showing for some transactions
- Fixed - bank feed widget would get stuck on synced status
- Other various bug fixes
- Bank feed information - you can now see all your feed statuses in the app, and bank feed syncs can be triggered in most cases after a period of inactivity (learn more here: Bank feed syncing in mobile)
- Improved transaction confirming - when a transaction is saved, you can now toggle whether you want the transaction to be confirmed too
- Colorful charts - the spending chart now has default category colors if no categories have a custom color to be used
- New users - the transaction confirmation widget will now only appear if you've chosen to review some transactions in the web app
- Added haptic feedback on models newer than iPhone 6s, for a variety of actions, e.g. such as creating or saving transactions
- Fixed - crash on lock screen for a small subset of users
- Various other bug fixes
- Introducing search! - You can now search for keywords in your transactions just like on the web. We've added a widget so you have quick access, or you can search directly when you view your transactions list.
- Spending chart widget minor change - Last 7 and last 30 days filters have been updated to match the web. This used to display an additional day.
- Minor bugfixes
- View transactions in a budget - you can now tap on a budget to view more details about it, including seeing all the transactions inside
- Confirm transactions - the new unconfirmed transactions widget will allow you to confirm transactions on the go
- Fixed - an issue with the Budget bars not adding up to their correct percentages
- Fixed - assigning a category to a manual transaction will now add to the frequently used categories list
- Fixed - an issue where if you tried to hide all widgets, the dashboard would be stuck in a loading state rather than displaying the empty view
- Fixed - a bug where the dashboard wouldn't load for some users
- New date ranges for the spending breakdown widget (last 7 days, last 30 days, last week, and last month)
- When entering the category selection screen, you can immediately start searching for a category using the keyboard
- Allow commas to be entered for regions that use it as the decimal place separator
- Fixed an issue where the app would ask to create a new cash account even though one already exists
- A minor change to how some budgets are calculated to match the web
Introducing a new spending breakdown widget to help you visualize where your money is going.
- Minor bugfixes
Introducing the PocketSmith mobile app 2.0, that includes a brand new customizable dashboard! We've included widgets so you can:
- Quickly glance at your net worth and view your assets and liabilities by percentages on a chart
- View your current budget status to see if you're under or over your totals
- Check out your top 5 accounts and see their amounts
- See when you have some outstanding transactions to categorize
All of these widgets can be hidden or rearranged to your liking, so you have full control over what you see.
Alongside all these new dashboard features, we've fixed some bugs and made some other minor changes to the UI.
- Fixed a crash that occasionally happened when reopening the app after a period of time
- Changed the way amount entries work in general for better support with international currencies
- Fixed an issue on the iPad where it could crash when entering the amount
- Fixed a couple of issues around PIN entry and FaceID for iPhone X users
- Fixed a minor bug where cash accounts set up on the web wouldn’t correctly be recognised as a cash account in the app
- Fixed an issue where account limit message was incorrectly showing
- Improved stability everywhere
- You can now create a cash account on your device and add cash transactions!
- Accounts are now displayed on the same order as the web for better consistency
- Improved stability for devices running iOS 10 and below
- Fixed a UI bug with the PIN entry on iPad + other minor UI issues
- Fixed a bug on the budget summary where incorrect text sometimes appeared
- Fixed a multi currency bug when viewing all your transactions
- Updated the "Learn about the app" page to help you get the most out of PocketSmith mobile
- Fixes a two-factor authentication issue when using a Google account to sign in
- Various minor UI changes
- Completing set up for future push notification support
- Fixes a crash on devices running iOS 10 and below.
- Fixes a crash some users were experiencing
- Added a new screen to view all transactions in one place
- General stability and bug fixes
- New budget summary
- General stability and bug fixes
- Updated UI
- General bug fixes
- You can now label your transactions
- Improved stability and general fixes
- Fix for the budget summary showing an incorrect total budget remaining
- Bug fix for Google sign-in
- General stability improvements
- The app has a fresh coat of paint and now feels a touch lighter.
- Categories can now be created when category search results are empty.
- Editing items in the transaction listing will correctly update other screens.
- Fixed a bug affecting the budgeting page for some people.
- Improved text entry for smaller devices.
- You can now search for categories in the category selector
- Frequently used categories are now displayed at the top of the category selector
- The transaction listings have had a redesign
- Additional stability and bug fixes
- Revamped edit screen
- Better multi-currency support
- Fixed a bug where the wrong currency symbol might be shown
- We found some more bugs to squash so we squashed them for you
- Better support for Touch ID (check the settings for a new toggle).
- Some bug fixes around the pin code
- A whole bunch of general stability fixes
- Performance and stability fixes
- First version