PocketSmith iOS App
Our iOS app is designed as a companion app providing users with some of the key elements of PocketSmith - right there in your pocket!
Because our mobile apps are not designed as a standalone interface, they won't include all the features found on our web and desktop applications. We are regularly releasing updates to the PocketSmith iOS app with improvements and new features. The iOS app can be download from the App Store 📱
In this article
The Dashboard gives you an overview of your account balances and any new transactions that need to be categorized
Head to the transactions tab to view your transactions.
You can choose to view all transactions, uncategorized transactions, or only your income transactions by selecting these options from the menu at the top of the screen.
Categorize and edit your transactions
Categorize or edit your transactions straight from the mobile app!
From the transactions tab, select any transaction to make changes, add notes and labels, or categorize.
Click on the category field to choose or create the category you wish to assign from within the category selector.
Click the Labels field to choose or create a label to add from the Labels panel.
Quickly see an overview of both your budget summary and your individual budgets so you know whether you're on track!
The top of the Budget tab shows a summary of your overall budget for the current calendar month
Scroll down to view how your individual budget categories are tracking for their current budget period.
Settings and security
You can add additional security to PocketSmith on mobile by adding a privacy pin from the settings tab. If this is turned on, you'll need to enter your 4-digit pin in order to open the app.
Once you've set up a pin you can instead choose to use Touch ID to access the iOS app. Simply slide the TouchID slider to the right, and you're all set!
Cash transactions & cash accounts
If you frequently use cash to pay for things, you may have created a cash account on the PocketSmith web app to track these transactions (learn more here: Dealing with cash transactions). You can also easily add cash transactions and set up new cash accounts straight from your mobile device!
Adding new cash transactions and creating cash accounts
In the iOS app, open the Transactions page
Add cash transaction button in the top right corner
If you don't already have a cash account, tap Add a cash account. From here you can give the new cash account a name and starting balance, then tap Create new account to save.
Add the details of your cash transaction in the fields provided:
- Merchant Name
- Account (you can create a new cash account, by selecting the Account field and choosing + New Cash Account)
- Income or Expense & Amount
- Tap Save (or Save + Another if you'd like to add more)
If you created a manual cash account on our web app before January 28, 2018, this will not be available from the Account options on the mobile app. You'll just need to change the account type (on the web app) so it is an official Cash account as outlined here: Edit the details of your account
Deleting cash transactions
Changing the balance of a cash account
If the balance for the cash account is incorrect, it isn't possible to change this within the mobile app. However, you can do this on the web app by updating the Calculated closing balance option. Learn more about changing this here: Balance options for an account
We are regularly releasing updates to the PocketSmith iOS app with improvements and new features.
- Changed the way amount entries work in general for better support with international currencies
- Fixed an issue on the iPad where it could crash when entering the amount
- Fixed a couple of issues around PIN entry and FaceID for iPhone X users
- Fixed a minor bug where cash accounts set up on the web wouldn’t correctly be recognised as a cash account in the app
- Fixed an issue where account limit message was incorrectly showing
- Improved stability everywhere
- You can now create a cash account on your device and add cash transactions!
- Accounts are now displayed on the same order as the web for better consistency
- Improved stability for devices running iOS 10 and below
- Fixed a UI bug with the PIN entry on iPad + other minor UI issues
- Fixed a bug on the budget summary where incorrect text sometimes appeared
- Fixed a multi currency bug when viewing all your transactions
- Updated the "Learn about the app" page to help you get the most out of PocketSmith mobile
- Fixes a two-factor authentication issue when using a Google account to sign in
- Various minor UI changes
- Completing set up for future push notification support
- Fixes a crash on devices running iOS 10 and below.
- Fixes a crash some users were experiencing
- Added a new screen to view all transactions in one place
- General stability and bug fixes
- New budget summary
- General stability and bug fixes
- Updated UI
- General bug fixes
- You can now label your transactions
- Improved stability and general fixes
- Fix for the budget summary showing an incorrect total budget remaining
- Bug fix for Google sign-in
- General stability improvements
- The app has a fresh coat of paint and now feels a touch lighter.
- Categories can now be created when category search results are empty.
- Editing items in the transaction listing will correctly update other screens.
- Fixed a bug affecting the budgeting page for some people.
- Improved text entry for smaller devices.
- You can now search for categories in the category selector
- Frequently used categories are now displayed at the top of the category selector
- The transaction listings have had a redesign
- Additional stability and bug fixes
- Revamped edit screen
- Better multi-currency support
- Fixed a bug where the wrong currency symbol might be shown
- We found some more bugs to squash so we squashed them for you
- Better support for Touch ID (check the settings for a new toggle).
- Some bug fixes around the pin code
- A whole bunch of general stability fixes
- Performance and stability fixes
- First version