Creating a transfer budget for an asset
Some assets don't have a transaction account that can be connected to PocketSmith. If this is the case, you can instead add an asset into PocketSmith, and track gains against that asset with a transfer budget! This might be for something like a car, holiday home, or special collection.
A transfer budget helps you to track your progress as your asset grows and automatically increases the value of that asset.
In this user guide
Tracking assets in PocketSmith
For assets that don't have a transaction account connected to PocketSmith, you can instead add them as an asset using the Net Worth page.
You are then able to track payments towards an asset that you've set up in PocketSmith using a transfer budget.
Assets in PocketSmith are different to your bank and transaction accounts because they don't actually have any transactions attached to them. This means that transactions won't affect the balance of an asset because there is no transaction imported into PocketSmith within the asset.
This is why you'll need to set up a transfer budget to account for payments towards an asset.
A transfer budget tracks your budgeted expenses that contribute towards an asset and automatically increases its value.
Setting up an asset on the Net Worth page
The Net Worth page allows you to see all your financial assets and liabilities (some which may not have transaction accounts), such as your house, mortgage, car or car loan etc, all in the one place. Learn how to add an here: Adding an asset to Net Worth
Setting up a transfer budget for an asset
- Head to the Budget page
• If you already have a category set up where transactions are assigned that contribute towards your asset, click
Start on the category
• If you have already created a budget for the category, click the three-dot menu on the budget row and select Edit / Delete
- Input the amount, start date, and frequency of your repayments
- Under Type & Scenario select the account that the expense transaction is made from
- Under Transfer select the asset where the payments are going to
- Click Update or Save
- If you see the Confirm Updates window select one of the bottom two options to ensure that this change is applied to all future budget events for this budget category
Now you have set up your transfer budget — yay!